A Cornwall Getaway – Part 2

Mum’s alarm goes of at 8am, hurting my soul slightly. Even though its an hour and a half later than I’d usually get up on Friday, it’s still an ughhhhhh from me.

Luckily, mum gets in the shower first, which gives me half an hour to watch makeup tutorials and reviews. Even though I haven’t bought on piece of makeup with me. But it is payday…

IMG_2353

While we get ready, I can smell the sweet, smoky scent of a fry up being cooked downstairs and it reminds me of the hella great breakfast I’ve ordered.

I mean, who doesn’t require a three course breakfast when they’re in Cornwall? Starting with half a grapefruit, then greek yogurt and then a fried breakfast with bacon, sausage, fried toast, egg, tomato and a hash brown. What a way to start the day.

Processed with VSCO with hb1 preset

Looking out of the little window by our breakfast table, it’s a sunny day. For now. But it’s not raining at this very second, which is no.1 a bonus since rain is forecast all weekend and no.2 means we’re going back to Port Isaac, which is very exciting because they do FAB cream teas. Yep, it’s still all about the food.

fullsizeoutput_fee

Sorting out my bag and our music selections, mum plugs in the sat nav and we get going. While we’ve been there before, we got seriously lost trying to get there, so this time we’re trying it the foolproof way. Trying.

fullsizeoutput_fed

The problem with Cornwall is that it’s a lot of tiny villages with tiny track roads in between. We do not like these roads. And that just so happens to be the way the sat nav sends us. At this point I’m so glad I’m not driving because I would TOTALLY be panicking, but at the same time I feel SO sorry for mum. After a lot of of braking and edging round hedges and trying to get out the way of a tractor on a road that is DEFINITELY NOT BIG ENOUGH FOR A TRACTOR, we make it out onto a main road, just as we approach Port Isaac. Well wasn’t that fun. Not going back that way then.

fullsizeoutput_ff1

We get to the car park and exhale. That was pleasant. “If I still smoked I’d be having six right now”. Mum’s nice and chilled out then.

On the way here, all the clouds came out to play, so now it’s looking a bit… dangerous. Oh well, angry clouds make for good photos.

fullsizeoutput_ff2

Fighting with my hood and hair and everything that’s just kind of flapping round, we head into the harbour. Everything is just so cute and quaint here, except the construction vans. Something we’ve learned here, is health and safety means NOTHING. Sure, get your flimsy wooden ladder and whack it up against an unsteady house while cars drive past inches from the food of the ladder. GOOD PLAN.

Okay so confession. I’m secretly 80. Doc Martin is filmed here and that’s why we’re here. I’m mentally old and I embrace it. But it’s not called Port Isaac in the tv show, it’s called Port Wenn. And there are signs for Port Wenn EVERYWHERE. This is so exciting (for me anyway). After exploring all the little lanes and shops that definitely see the tourists coming, the tide starts to go out, which not only means beach photos, but also beach dogs. And who doesn’t want that?

fullsizeoutput_ff4

After making friends with a dog called Scampi, we start getting hungry, so we head to the Old School Hotel for that cream tea I’ve been waiting for. And oh my god it’s good. I much prefer Cornish cream teas to Devon these days. Mainly so I have every excuse to just load up on clotted cream before my jam, (I’m pretty sure thats the right way round) and don’t even get me STARTED on having sultanas in your scones. It’s a no from me.

fullsizeoutput_ff6

But this one is good. REAL good. But I wasn’t as much of a champion as I was the last time I was here, only managing a mere 1.5 scones instead of my record of 3.

Looking out the window, it’s absolutely TIPPING it down. Could be our time to go then.

Of course as soon as we get in the car, the clouds break and the sun comes out. Obviously, but on our way out of Port Isaac, we spot a load of people in high-vis jackets with massive lights everywhere. What’s going on here then? Could it be THE FILMING OF DOC MARTIN?

fullsizeoutput_ff5

After heading back towards Padstow on big, less nerve-wracking roads, it gets even brighter outside, and mum makes the suggestion of trying to go back to Constantine Bay, if the rain holds off.

For someone that used to live here, you’d think her memory of roads would be significantly better than it is. After going past the turning three times after we repeatedly turn it out, I’m the one to point out our junction. Come on, Mother.

fullsizeoutput_ff8

The beach is pretty gloomy, with a brutal wind. The tide is all the way out, leaving it mostly slate, which looks weird but cool. Of course mum has to pick up some pretty slate for the garden. And that’s when the heavens open, cutting our beach trip very very short. This doesn’t feel much like April. After a very quick walk back to the car, we leave our coats in the back and blast the heaters to ATTEMPT to dry us off. In vain. We get back to the B&B feeling particularly…soggy. Cowering from the rain back in our room, we have a shower and warm up.

For dinner we head back to The Old Custom House and talk the night away. I love these sessions with mum, talking about everything, past, present and future for hours. Kinda gives me the warm fuzzies inside.

1. April 9, 2017 / 8:05 pm

Aw this post brings back such nostalgia for me. I used to spend half my life in Cornwall as a kid! Amazing photography as usual Jodie. Loved the post x
    C x

2. April 9, 2017 / 8:10 pm

This looks like such a lovely trip – these pictures are gorgeous!
    Claire xo

3. April 9, 2017 / 8:11 pm

Your blog is becoming one of my absolute favourites! I love your photos so freaking much <3 xx

4. April 9, 2017 / 8:12 pm

the breakfast looks so amazing. I love English breakfast! And these scones… OMG! Cornwall really does sound lovely and I feel I must go! xx Corinne

5. April 9, 2017 / 8:16 pm

Wow, your breakfast looks incredible! And I love your writing style, it’s so easy to read! I’m glad you had a really nice time with your mum! x

6. April 9, 2017 / 8:16 pm

sounds like an incredible trip! (Minus the stressful country road driving! Ireland’a full of country roads like that which is why I hate driving so much!)
    I love the sound of that cream tea! I’m a huge fan of clotted cream on scones though i put my jam before my cream!
    PaleGirlRambling xo

7. April 9, 2017 / 8:29 pm

I’ve been to Cornwall a few times, this blog post is so good to read! Your photography is amazing too!x

8. April 9, 2017 / 8:29 pm

Cornwall was my favourite place to go on holiday growing up! This makes me want to go back so bad! And your photography is perfection!
    Robyn // http://www.midnightandlace.co.uk/

9. April 9, 2017 / 8:30 pm

Your photography skill is on point! And what a great post to read. Cornwall is on my go-to list and I really can’t wait to go there (hopefully soon) for the sake of taking pictures of the village. So beautiful! x Ain

10. April 9, 2017 / 8:48 pm

Hi, as a full on Cornish girl (who lives in a village with a connecting windy road) I was keen to read this. Port Isaac is certainly beautiful and thanks to Doc Martin is now swarming with visitors! I hope you enjoyed your stay, your pictures are lovely and capture the quietness of the village. I love it there, having only been a few times. Cornwall is the best (not that I’m biased or anything).
    PS. Should have gone to the famous Constantine Stores!

• April 10, 2017 / 6:21 pm

Thank you so much my lovely! (PS: That’ll be on the list for next time) xx

11. April 9, 2017 / 8:49 pm

Oh this is such a lovely post! Looks like you had a lovely time, although I’m sorry you didn’t get to see Doc Martin being filmed! Your photos are awesome!
    Hels x

12. Kayleigh Zara
    April 9, 2017 / 8:52 pm

I loved your first part of this post and the second part is amazing too! Really love your photography x

April 9, 2017 / 9:49 pm

Ahhh it looks like you are having an amazing time. It just looks amazing. My fondest memory of Cornwall is earing cream teas mmmmm. I cant believe you might have seen the filming of Doc Martin thats soooo cool 🙂 x

14. April 9, 2017 / 9:53 pm

Cornwall is somewhere I’ve always wanted to go! Your pictures are so lovely! Xx

Kirsty | The Monday Project | themondayproject.co.uk

15. April 9, 2017 / 10:24 pm

Beautiful area. Would love to get back there some day.
    mattchristianblog.wordpress.com

16. April 10, 2017 / 11:57 am

I found myself smiling throughout this! And you made me laugh when you said about roads definitely not big enough for tractors, haha I remember driving in devon once and it was the same feeling! What a lovely memory you’ll have when you look back on this in years to come. And fab pictures as always xx

Sophia x http://sophiawhitham.co.uk

17. Rebecca
    April 11, 2017 / 7:42 pm

I agree with a comment of this bringing nostalgia from when i was younger! I live in Northern Ireland and the road situation is the same here – your breakfast looked super super yum also i adore your photograph style its stunning x

Rebecca xx | Rxbxcca.blogspot.com

18. April 11, 2017 / 7:54 pm

Such a lovely post, will read part 1. Also followed and looking forward to more! x

19. April 11, 2017 / 8:58 pm

Absolutely gorgeous photography! Looks like such a great get away and looks like you had so much fun! I went to Cornwall when I was very little and definitely going to go back one day.
    Becca x // http://www.beccasloveforlife.blogspot.co.uk

20. April 18, 2017 / 8:36 am

Love the photography, I need to put Cornwall on my bucket list of places to visit it’s so cute !

21. May 1, 2017 / 6:42 am

Having driven tiny English roads I can completely understand your apprehension about driving them .. having said that – I love the tiny villages that you find along the way 🙂

22. June 5, 2017 / 5:41 pm

I absolutely love your photography! Me and my family are hoping to go to Cornwall in November! 😊💕